[collectd] collectd dieing without error?

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at atc-onlane.com
Thu May 17 08:35:07 CEST 2007

[mailto:collectd-bounces at verplant.org]
> On Behalf Of Sebastian Harl
> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 23:24
> To: collectd at verplant.org
> Subject: Re: [collectd] collectd dieing without error?
>
> Hi Ulf,
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 02:42:58PM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> > I currently run an own compile of 3.11.2 which dies without error,
no
> > message in syslog, even when recompiled with debug option. This only
> > happens on the RedHat EL4 U4 machines I rolled it out on. Installing
my
> > older compile of 3.7.1 (compiled under EL3) works fine and doesn't
die.
> > Has anyone seen something like this? Collectd is compiled with a
small
> > number of modules (cpu, df, disk, load, memory, processes, swap and
> > traffic) and runs in local mode.
>
> Does it die right after startup? Have you tried running it in the
> foreground
> (-f command line option) to see the reason why it's dieing (this most
> probably
> is a segfault or a failed assertion)? Do you know how to use a
debugger?
> If
> you do, you could help us by providing detailed debugging information.
If
> not,
> you can enable the creation of a corefile ("ulimit -c unlimited" in
the
> shell
> that starts collectd) and give us access to the corefile, the binary
> (sbin/collectd) and the plugins (lib/collectd/*.so).

No, it runs for a few days and then just is gone. No message in syslog
about seg fault. Nothing in debug log when it is run with debug enabled.
It seems often to happen when load is a big higher but not always.

Haven't found anywhere, console, syslog, coredump file on the systems it
has happened, be it normal compile or debug enabled.

When I get some time I will try to figure out more, but we are right now
in the process of upgrading a larger number of systems and time is
something I don't have right now.