[collectd] Red Hat Enterprise problems...

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Jun 24 22:58:48 CEST 2007

Hi Phil,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 07:42:03PM +0100, Phil White wrote:
> OK. That makes sense - except that I have just used the default config
> file unchanged from 'make install'.

> --> collectd.conf
>  http://manx.biz/tmp/config.txt

it's late and I'm about to go to bed, so please forgive me if I totally
miss the point, but
- the configure output and the configfile don't fit. I. e. the config
  looks modified..
- `LoadPlugin csv', `LoadPlugin rrdtool', and `LoadPlugin unixsock' are
  commented out, and
- the network plugin isn't configured, i. e. both sample `Server' lines
  are commented out.

So for me it look like, yes, indeed, you don't have any write plugins
loaded or, in case of the network plugin, configured.

Try to un-comment the `LoadPlugin csv' and/or `LoadPlugin rrdtool' lines
and you just might get files - unless SELinux gets in the way, that is
;)

On the side: The `RRARows' and `XFF' options of the rrdtool plugin
should only be set when you need to and fully understand what they do.
The `StepSize' and `HeartBeat' options are harmfull (come 4.1) and
should never be used. (Unless you absolutely, positively have to.) They
will force a certain stepsize even if that is nonsence.

> > > if I run collectd -f, it segfaults on ctrl-C.
> >
> > That's bad.. Does it happen when you kill the process with another
> > signal, e. g. SIGTERM (the default kill(1) signal), too?
>
> Yep.

That's bad.. If you could provide a stack backtrace (or a corefile)
that'd be awesome. I'll try to reproduce the problem with the configfile
I just copied off of your site.

> Does the binary give up root privileges?

No. It might be worth thinking about an option to force the daemon to do
so. But quite some plugins require on root privileges (some only during
initialization, such as the ping plugin, but others during runtime as
well, such as the serial or apple_sensors plugin), so doing this
automatically will render some plugins useless. Under Linux it's mostly
about opening privileged sockets, though.