[collectd] Red Hat Enterprise problems...

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Jun 24 19:10:04 CEST 2007

Hi Phil,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 04:07:15PM +0100, Phil White wrote:
> No data is logged to the appropriate directory
> (/usr/local/var/lib/collectd/ )

> compiling with debug on gives:
> http://manx.biz/tmp/run-log.txt

Since there is no debug message from the `plugin_dispatch_values'
function, you apparently didn't load a `write' plugin, i. e. one that
will actually write the collected values to somewhere.

I see you loaded the network plugin, but for it to actually send the
values somewhere you need to give at least one `Server' option.
Alternatively, you can load one of the following plugins:
  csv, rrdtool, unixsock (, network)

Sorry if you've already done that and I just told you what you already
know, but without the configfile it's kind of hard to tell if that's the
problem or not - and it's the most likely problem.

> if I run collectd -f, it segfaults on ctrl-C.

That's bad.. Does it happen when you kill the process with another
signal, e. g. SIGTERM (the default kill(1) signal), too?

> Now, the only thing I can put it down to is that the server uses
> SELinux, and is enabled / enforcing. As I know diddly squat about
> SELinux, I do not know if this is causing the problem, or not. If not,
> any ideas what is? Has anyone else come across this?

Sorry, can't help you there.. I'm not even sure what SELinux actually
does.. I mean, in a general point of view..