[collectd] collectd-4.x on OpenBSD build problem

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Jun 23 09:16:44 CEST 2007

Hi Eric,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 04:29:34PM +0200, e f wrote:
> since version 3.10.4 i can't build a newer version of collectd for
> OpenBSD.

Version 3.11 added the `dns' plugin and apparently that causes the
problem.

> /usr/include/net/if_ppp.h:97: error: field `mode' has incomplete type

That looks very much like a missing define. The trouble is that BSD
based OSes don't include the files they need themselves, so you have to
do that yourself and you have to do it in the right order. Needless to
say that this changes from *BSD to *BSD (to Mac OS X).

> utils_dns.c:700: error: `ns_t_a' undeclared (first use in this function)

This sounds like one of the nameser-includes wasn't found, but

> checking arpa/nameser.h usability... yes
> checking arpa/nameser.h presence... yes
> checking for arpa/nameser.h... yes
> checking arpa/nameser_compat.h usability... no
> checking arpa/nameser_compat.h presence... no
> checking for arpa/nameser_compat.h... no

looks okay. Maybe that error was thrown because of trouble in
`net/if_ppp.h'..

> checking for net/if_arp.h... no
> checking net/if_ppp.h usability... no
> checking net/if_ppp.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: net/if_ppp.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
> checking for net/if_ppp.h... yes

That's the same problem as above. Judging from the header file I found
on the web the `enum NPmode' is unknown and it's defined in
`net/ppp_defs.h'. I packed a test tarball for you. I'd be great if you
could give it a try and tell me if worked or what problems appeared now.
<http://verplant.org/temp/collectd-4.0.3-openbsd0.tar.gz>
(It will automatically be deleted in one month.)