[collectd] Adding new DS definitions to existing plugins

Tue Jan 23 22:58:34 CET 2007

Hi all,
	short timer listener, long time coder ;-)

For the application we want to use collectd for, we need to keep a bit
more information about CPU and system states, notably we _are_
interested in accounting IRQ/softirq time separately, and also want to
keep track of total system interrupt count and context switches.

I've whipped up a "works for me" patch for src/cpu.c that adds irq +
softirq DS definitions to ds_defs[], and updates cpu_read/cpu_submit to
handle the extra data, and am planning to do a similar thing to
src/load.c to keep track of IRQ counts and context switches (since it's
per-system, not per-cpu counts, src/load.c makes sense to me).

I'd like to submit these patches when they're ready, but would be
interested in any advice regarding how best to handle backwards
compatibility issues. I couldn't find anything on the website containing
policies about this kind of thing - can anyone fill me in?

Chers,
	Nic.

--
Nic Bellamy,