[collectd] collectd 4.0 in server mode

Mon Apr 23 15:01:07 CEST 2007

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 01:38:41PM +0100, Daniel Leite wrote:
> i'm trying the version 4.0 and i was unable to setup the server mode,
> collectd doesnt listen to the port i set.... from the
> collectd-server.conf:

this is no surprise, since the `Modes' have retired ;)

> Mode Server
> Server 10.10.20.157 30000

I will look into why the daemon hasn't complained about these keys not
being valid. How did you start the daemon? ``By hand'' or using an
init-script of some sort?

The new way of doing this is as follows:
-- 8< --
 # Server
 LoadPlugin network
 # ...
 <Plugin network>
   Listen "ff18::efc0:4a42" "25826"
 # Listen ...
 </Plugin>
-- >8 --

-- 8< --
 # Client(s)
 LoadPlugin network
 # ...
 <Plugin network>
   Server "ff18::efc0:4a42" "25826"
 # Server ...
 </Plugin>
-- >8 --

Of course you can also configure an instance as proxy:
-- 8< --
 # Proxy
 LoadPlugin network
 # ...
 # Forward local IPv6-multicast-traffic to an IPv4-unicast-address
 # somewhere else:
 <Plugin network>
   Listen "ff18::efc0:4a42" "25826"
   Server "10.0.0.1" "25826"
   Forward true
 </Pluin>
-- >8 --

The manpage `collectd.conf(5)' should list all available options.

Other plugins you may need to activate when you used to use collectd-3:
- `logfile' for writing messages to logs or to STDOUT
- `rrdtool' for writing values to RRD-files

P. S.: The above examples have not been tested; beware of typos..