[collectd] 3.10.1 - proposed patch to extend sensors plugin

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 25 14:38:49 CEST 2006

Hi Florian
I have found one strange error so the patch is updated.
The included patch is for immediate use for others. The git patch will
follow in another message.

I made a change to collection.cgi though.
I think that changed colors better differentiate sensor types.

> From what I've seen I'd say it looks very good :) I have some remarks
> though:
> - I proposed filenames like `lm_sensors-<chip>/temperature-<inst>.rrd'
>   so other plugins that collect temperatures, too, can use the same RRD
>   file layout, making it easier to generate graphs. Could you copy the
>   RRD file layouts from `src/apple_sensors.c' (temperature and fanspeed)
>   and `src/battery.c' (voltage) please? Changes to the `collection.cgi'
>   should not be neccessary then.

I thought that if we change filenames we could change the DS'es.
I do not think that "value" describes the temperature and rpm well.
But for the smooth inclusion I have submited.

> - The manpages are generated from `.pod'-files. I don't ship these
>   files, because automake would then try to re-generate the manpages
>   again when building the program. This would fail if `pod2man' is not
>   installed.
>   Do you have the changes is a non-troff format that's easier to read?
>   Could you provide that? If you don't have the changes in such a
>   format please don't worry about it - I'll translate it myself.

It is in the next message with git diff.

> Letting the user choose the naming scheme and thus being backwards
> compatible it very welcome. This way I can savely include this patch in
> the next minor release :)

This is the reason I designed it this way.

Best regards,
Lubos