[collectd] Re: collectd: How to collect alias interface statistics`

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Oct 2 18:22:07 CEST 2006

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:50:37PM +0200, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> I can't seem to be able to collect statistics pertaining to the alias
> interfaces I have set up (since I have multiple "real" IP addresses
> assigned to my box.)

when compiled with the default parameters collectd used the
`/proc/net/dev' file to read interface counters. It's not surprising
this file doesn't list alias interfaces since it's more concerned about
`real' interfaces/hardware.

It's possible, that `getifaddrs(2)' returnes the desired information. I
don't know, though - any feedback is greatly welcome. To enable the use
of `getifaddrs' configure with `--enable-getifaddrs'.

Personally I bind all IP-Adresses to the same interface and use the
source address for differenciated routing decisions.

If you can tell me where I can get numbers for the alias interfaces I'll
happily include support for that feature. I'll see if I find some
information myself, but I can't promise anything..

P.S.: Please CC the mailinglist on replies.