[collectd] apache: curl_easy_perform failed: Failed writing body

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Nov 26 20:07:51 CET 2006

Hi Kevin,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 08:56:19PM -0500, kcheek at umich.edu wrote:
> collectd[9116]: apache: curl_easy_perform failed: Failed writing body
> [...]
> 127.0.0.1 - - [25/Nov/2006:15:15:44 -0500] "GET /server-status?auto HTTP/1.1" 200 4289 "-" "collectd/3.10.3" "-"

that's your problem right there: Apache returns 4289 bytes, but collectd
uses only a 4096 byte buffer internally. This isse has come up once
before and the next minor version will use a 16k byte buffer, hoping
that noone has *this* many processes ;)

> Scoreboard: __W__.................. [...]

This is the cause for this problem: Many many many process slots ;) You
basically have four choices:
1) Wait for the next version, which is due sometime in december, the
   exact date depends on my workload.
2) Use the development version.
3) Re-compile collectd with a bigger buffer.
4) Decrease the number of process slots by about 200. Unless your
   webserver is _very_ busy this shouldn't be a problem.

> So far, I'm also unable to get statistics with the vserver or mysql
> plugins, but I'm not seeing any error messages in syslog for those -
> they just don't produce any rrd files.
>
> The mysql.log shows messages like "061125 20:32:10 7 Query SHOW GLOBAL
> STATUS" every ten seconds, so I'm guessing that collectd is able to
> talk to mysqld.

Sounds like it _should_ work.. The `mysql' should at least create the
traffic graph or report an error. I hardly have the heart to ask this,
but: You are aware, that the mysql-RRD-files are in a seperate
subdirectory? Other than that I don't know where it should go wrong :/

> I'm not sure where to look for problems with the vserver plugin.

Sebastian is by far the more competent contact for this ;)