[collectd] librrd needs now libpng

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 25 11:11:56 CET 2006

Hi Niki,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:52:24AM +0100, Niki W Waibel wrote:
> you are right, tobias does not provide any configure stuff for
> rrdtool.  but you can easily build in the -lpng check:

yes, that's not a problem. What I don't (fully) understand is, with all
the dependencies RRDTool 1.2 introduces, why do I only explicitely link
with `libpng' and who says I don't need to do that with `libfreetype',
`libart', etc in two weeks?

> afair, about a year ago, i rewrote the collectd tests (i was working
> on a quota plugin for the veritas fs). then i started a diploma and i
> had to stop it. by the end of this year i'll finish it and will have
> more time (fbuild.sf.net/monitoring.pdf, if you're interested).

Right, you wrote much of the autoconf magic ;) I have some corrections
for your paper though:
Section 2.6)
- The stepsize of 10 seconds can be changed at compile time for finder/
  more coarse statistics.
- Though RRD-files is the main solution for saving the data, it's also
  possible to write to textfiles for further processing.
- The (default) RRAs have changed and provide data at the same
  resolution as the stepsize, i. e. 10 seconds by default. The other
  RRAs sizes are calculated dynamically; details are in the manpage.

Section 4.3)
- Is named `collectd', but describes RRDTool ;)

Best regards,