[collectd] A humble proposal

Malte Tancred malte-20041220 at tancred.com
Thu Nov 16 16:00:45 CET 2006

Hi!

Found out about collectd yesterday, and it appears to be just
what I want. However, I often run services using daemontools
and therefor prefer to have logging go to stderr. I wrote a
small patch that accomplishes this by pretending to be syslog.
Here it is:

   http://svn.tancred.com:8080/svn/CodeSoup/Public/patches/
collectd-3.10.3-stderr.txt

I'm neither fluent in C nor autoconf stuff, the code is not
thoroughly tested and it brutally turns syslog to a stderr
logger without asking (i.e. you have to undef HAS_SYSLOG in
config.h and recompile), but perhaps it could serve as a starting
point for a --log-to-stderr option.

The patch is only of interest in non-daemonized mode of course.

Regards,
Malte