[collectd] Generalized ignorelist functionality

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 18 14:14:54 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

I'm in the process of looking over your code right this moment ;) I've
renamed `config_list.[ch]' to `utils_ignorelist.[ch]' because I think
that's more intuitive. This inverts the functionality to a point, so
some more small changes would make sense, to get the overall interface
more streamlined..

> > I'll see over it more thoroughly tomorrow and maybe I have some
> > points then; for now I'm hapy that is compiles cleanly :)
>
> Sure, you will. :)

And here it comes ;)
- I've inverted the argument passed to `create' and renamed it to
  `invert'. If it is false, all matching entries will be ignored. If if
  is true, all matching entries will be collected, everything else will
  be ignored.
  Come to think about it, this is the other way around as the usual
  config-usage (where you have to set `IgnoreSelected' to get an
  `ignorelist' functionality. What do you think, should I undo my
  changes and rename it to `search list' (or some other, ``forward
  matching'' name) instead?
- Is the `init' function necessary? If there was polymorphism in C I'd
  welcome having a default-argument for the `create' function, but think
  think having both, `init' and `create' with basically the same
  functionality, is confusing.
- Why did you make the regex-stuff optional? The regex-things are in
  POSIX and should therefore exist everywhere. (How well that works can
  be seen in `utils_mount.c' *sigh*) Anyway, if someone only writes
  `Match foobar' the regex-automaton will essentially do the same as
  `strcmp'..
  Also, we would not need the delimiters then, which I don't like that
  much. Alternatively we could provide some `add_regex' function for
  plugins to provide both, `MatchString' and `MatchRegex'.
  The advantage of string-comparsion is, that it's absolutely ordered,
  making is possible to use a binary search tree and increase speed. But
  with only a few entries this speedup is likely neglectible.