[collectd] Any concept for ancient .rrd files?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 11 10:16:37 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:06:28PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> I do not want to start any flame war.
> I only wanted to get other opinions.

I'm sorry if I appeared a little harsh; it wasn't my intention to be
`flaming' ;)

> Do you think that the collectd server with plenty of collectd clients
> is not touched by the threat of filling up or wasting any usable
> space?

No. My reason to throw away ``old files'' is not diskspace. (At home,
I'm collecting on my fileserver, there's enough space) My reason is to
have a tidy overview of all the graphs - without all the `empty' ones.

I think there are two reasonable solutions:
1) Let the displaying (CGI-)script ignore those RRD-files. E. g. ignore
   all files that haven't been touched for one day, because that's when
   they'll appear to be empty in the overview.
2) Delete files that haven't been touched for a month, because the
   chances are they won't be updated again.

Of course, both mechanismns could be combined, which would, imho, be the
best solution.

> As I said before, it is not possible without substantial changes in the
> configuration of HAL, udev. I mean modifying it to behave the old way
> and mounting removable media in one drive's mount point.

Why's that? If, say, you collect `/', `/var', and `/home' and ignore
everything else. Then some removable media, that's mounted under
`/media/*magic*' won't be collected, effectively not wasting your RRD-
directory. Or did I miss the point?

> You can think about autoconf modifications required for multiplatform
> POSIX regular expressions in advance.
> I am using the regex functions provided by the glibc. But it is possible
> to use pcre as well.

I'd stick with POSIX regexen only: PCRE is an external depencency, all
of which I'd like to have as soft-dependencies. This means, that you
will either not have regex-functionality without PCRE (which would be
fine, imho) or to fall back on POSIX regexen. Since the regex flavors
differ some major confusion is guaranteed. I'm very annoyed by the
different regex flavors that come with Perl, vi(m), grep, sed, etc. and
their reespective versions on different operating systems.