[collectd] Any concept for ancient .rrd files?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Nov 10 09:01:04 CET 2006

Hello Lubos,

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 09:54:42PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:54:21PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> > > is there any concept how to handle ancient .rrd files?

no, and I don't think collectd is the place for this. Sure, ignoring/
unignoring plays an important role in not wasting precious space *cough
cough* but I don't think any active removing of files should be done in
collectd.

> > rm(1) ;-)

This is exactly what should be done. What about an script that runs via
cron every `n' days and deletes all files that haven't changes for the
last `m' days? I'd happily include such a script in `contrib/'.

> And what about small devices like routers?

That's why the network code was written: My router (an WRT54GS with
OpenWRT) multicasts it's data happily into the LAN without any fear of
ever running out of space.

> I am working on the ignore list hard.  I have implemented really nice
> features including posix regular expressions.  I will public it
> probably next week. Several test are needed at least.

Nice :) Just send them in at any time and I'll be happy to test it (if I
have some minutes ;)

> It cannot be solved by the ignore list with HAL.

Not even with selecting the mountpoints you want to collect, i. e. make
`ignore' the default (think: IgnoreSelected ;)?