[collectd] Any concept for ancient .rrd files?

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 9 21:54:42 CET 2006

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Harl napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:54:21PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
>> is there any concept how to handle ancient .rrd files?
>
> rm(1) ;-)

:)
But seriously.
It reminds me the story of the several years bricked out *NIX server.
The one with collectd would probably died out of space.
And what about small devices like routers?

>> - ntpd plugin: when ntpd uses .pool.ntp.org servers that may come up new
>> and end. The plugin behavior is right but files can pile up in the DataDir.
>> - df plugin: mounting removable media with HAL results in plenty of
>> df-<label>.rrd files.
>
> To be serious: Issues like this should be solved with (yet to be implemented)
> ignore lists just as in the "traffic" and "sensors" plugins. Maybe it should
> be possible to use regular expressions in the ignore lists. What do you think?

You are reading my thoughts. :)

I am working on the ignore list hard.
I have implemented really nice features including posix regular expressions.
I will public it probably next week. Several test are needed at least.

It cannot be solved by the ignore list with HAL.
Have a look at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fhal
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/hal/
Any removable media is mounted under its volume label with HAL.
Therefore I get df-<mount point>.rrd files for any CD or DVD media or
USB flash disk, any card of flash card reader and so on.
Yes, of course, it is possible to change the naming rules with udev or
to disable df plugin.

Best regards,
Lubos