[collectd] non-C-based plugins

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon Nov 6 21:00:27 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:12 +0100, Luboš Staněk wrote:
> Hi,
> I will not support the concept of the scripted plugins until some
> threading solution.
> I observed overstepping on a decently equipped dual cpu machine with
> common plugins settings.
> Of course we are speaking about simple statistical daemon that will not
> suffer from skipped steps. We can of course increase the step time.
> Another side effect is the amount of consumed memory by such plugins. It
> will discriminate low resources systems like routers.
>
> All I can see in this draft is a bunch of snmp clients which will slow
> down the daemon's plugins read loop.
> What plugins do you think about, Seth?

- anything tying back into reports about the pkg mgmt system
- a good number of tools tracking mail passing through a system
- any number of 'arbitrary crap I want to count' scripts which we write
quite commonly around here.

In short, making sure collectd is a tool that allows a fair bit of
arbitrary breadth  of utility rather than something more narrow.

> Better way would be to design threads, reusable common snmp plugin and
> then we could see what would remain.

snmp is just the tip. There's lots of stuff that snmp does a poor job of
returning.

-sv