[collectd] non-C-based plugins

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Nov 6 19:10:43 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

I think you misunderstood Sebastian's argument:

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 06:29:25PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> Although you can disable it in config, there is no need to drag the
> script interpreter libraries and code.

The daemon itself doesn't link against external libraries, as you can
observe with `libsensors', `libcurl' (for the apache-plugin) etc. So
only an perl-plugin would link against `libperl'. If you don't build it
or don't load it, you are not affected by this at all.

> The exec possibilities are also limited because the small devices
> commonly use limited shells like busybox only.

That doesn't matter either, since `fork' and `exec' are system-calls and
don't depend on any shell at all.

> It should be like building collectd client without rrdtool libraries.

Be assured that I wouldn't accept code that pulls in hard external
dependencies ;) I want collectd to keep working on my WRT54GS ;)

Hope I could destroy your worries ;)