[collectd] non-C-based plugins

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Nov 5 18:46:42 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 11:33 +0100, Florian Forster wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:04:04PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I was wondering if there's any plans to make it possible to have
> > non-C-based plugins.
>
> there haven't been such plans yet, but it would of course be a nifty
> feature.
>
> Being a Perl-person I know that you can prettly easily integrate a Perl-
> interpreter into C programs, using `libperl'. This would, IMHO, be some
> magnitudes better then forking a script every 10 seconds..

As far as monitoring goes it seems like most of the widely-used ones
support pretty much arbitrary plugin types.

Would you consider a plugin in C that took a command as its argument and
expected returns back in a specific order?

I know you'd be forking off a process in that case but then:
 1. it's left to the user to decide what is or is not too much forking
 2. it provides nearly infinite flexibility for what data is gathered
and using what languages.

-sv