[collectd] Windows version

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 4 19:21:13 CET 2006

Hi Bill,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:51:00AM -0500, Bill Beavis wrote:
> You should look at Windows servers. Not to run collectd, but for
> plugins. Perhaps just push for some people to write some.

I'm not really a pushy person ;) Seriously though, I can picture
collectd running on a Windows machine: They have some kind of running
daemons and collectd should be very close to ANSI C. I have no clue
whatsoever as to if Windows provides some sort of `libc'. But then
again, apparently there's a Windows-port of the glibc and if every-
thing else failes, there's still `Cygwin'.

The other part I don't quite understand: What good are the plugins for
Windows, if collectd doesn't run there? Just to get a possible
missunderstanding out of the way: collectd doesn't and will (for the
foreseeable future) not support SNMP-queries.

> I have accomplished much of what you have using Nagios and Nagiostat.
> I?ve had to write some of my own plugins. Your product is definitely
> more polished. Perhaps you can use your existing stuff to make an
> add-on for Nagios.

Nagios and collectd have fundamental differences: Nagios is for
monitoring, while collectd is only for collecting statistics. Since
Nagios has a centralized architecture and does quite some IO it won't
ever be able to gather as fine grained statistics as collectd does.

If, on the other hand, someone want's to use collectd's plugins for
Nagios, he's welcome. The other way around should be possible, too. If
anyone's interested to pursue this issue further, I'm open for
discussion ;)

> This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain
> information that is confidential and exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law. The information is intended only for the recipient(s)
> named above. If you received this message in error please notify the
> sender immediately and permanently delete the message from your email
> system and destroy any printed copies.

I took the liberty to send a copy of this mail to the mailinglist,
although parts of your mail have been quoted above.