[collectd] Traffic Monitor Units...?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri May 12 09:06:17 CEST 2006

Hi David,

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:33:37PM +1000, David Elliot wrote:
> Given that the plugin for traffic is dealing in bytes, shouldn't the
> vertical units of the graph published at:
>
> http://collectd.org/plugins/traffic.shtml
>
> ..be in bytes / second (rather than bits/s) ??

with RRDTool's `RPN expressions' you can do calculations before drawing
the graph. That's what's being done here: First the values are read from
the database; second they are multiplied by eight and last they are
graphed.
Reasons for doing it like this include problems with counter overflows
if you multiply them, not saving redundant data and `because we can' ;)

If you rather had Bps (Bytes per second) it's still possible; just don't
do the multiplication ;)