[collectd] sme howto questions - how to build an RPM package

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Oct 28 10:08:54 CEST 2005

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:53:32AM +0300, Jani Mikkonen wrote:
> Anyway, i will be still monitoring the rpm packaging and providing the
> binaries when ever possible..

That'd be great :)

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:55:10PM +0200, Hans-Cees Speel wrote:
> I have already done that. First time I have made an rpm:-)
>
> put the source in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/collectd-3.2.0
> put the spec in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>
> and:
> rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/collectd.spec

Actually it's even easier: (Beware of bugs: I've written this from
memory and don't have a machine to test)

-- 8< --
 # produce the Source RPM:
 $ rpmbuild -s collectd-x.y.z.tar.gz

 # install the Source RPM (the actual path is print out by the above
 # command)
 $ rpm -ihv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/collectd-x.y.z.src.rpm

 # Alter the Specfile: Put a reasonable postfix to the `Release' field.
 # I've set it to `1.fc1' for Fedore Core 1, `1.md2k6' for Mandriva 2006
 # or `1.rh7' for RedHat 7. Please change the number is you do any other
 # changes to the specfile.
 $ vim /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/collectd.spec

 # Now build the actual file
 $ rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/collectd.spec

 # Install the RPM (optional, of course ;)
 $ rpm -ihv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/collectd-x.y.z-1.postfix.i386.rpm

 # Last step: Mail all produced (binary) RPM files to me, please..
-- >8 --

As for the collection.cgi: I'm in the process to change that script so
it works with the network-setup in mind. I haven't decided yet how I
will publish it once it's `done'.. Right now it's `work in progress' and
meant for people to have a starting point for own experimants, not as a
ready-to-use program..

So, I have to get some breakfast or the coffee will dissolve my
stomach.. ;) Regards,