[collectd] How to store MySQL statistics?

Niki Waibel niki.waibel at newlogic.com
Tue Dec 20 17:14:49 CET 2005

>> > Oh, I was wondering, why include a type and name in the filename? With id and
>> > dir you should be able to identify the quota you're storing? (or am i missing
>> > something?)
>>
>> seems you are missing sthg. it makes a great difference if
>> you are counting the
>>         redflag user quota, dir=/home/redflag, id=5000 (uid)
>> or the
>>         redflag group quota, dir=/home/redflag, id=5000 (gid)
>> assuming that NOT JUST redflag CAN WRITE INTO /home/redflag!!!!!
>
> ---8<---
>
> You'll get a lot of files this way, but hey, unix should be able to cope
> with them.

well, if someone have > 20000 users, > 1000 groups it could
be some sort of a problem. not for the filesystem, but for the
user...

also imagine you have about 20 mountpoints in addition ...

> To differentiate between uiser or group id I would use the type
> field,

yes, that could be done. sthg like
        quota-u100-niki-_.rrd
        quota-g500-users-_.rrd
but for me it is more logically sorted in the fs
if the actual name would come first...
but
        quota-uniki-100-_.rrd
        quota-gusers-500-_.rrd
is not very nice.

also you could get rid of either the name (niki) or the id (100).
but i thought that i leave it there. on some sites it could be that
users names are deleated and overwritten... so it is good imho to
have both fealds there.

> but I'm still missing the use of the name field. The name of the
> group/user can be found via systemcalls

yes.

> or in plain files

yes mean /etc/passwd, /etc/groups ???
that is not a good way to get that information.
        a) no caching
        b) what about dns, nis, nis+, ldap environments?
i think that the system calls have to be used.

look at the code in the branch. i am using it already.

> while processing
> the rrddata instead of during data gathering. (or at least, it looks like it
> would simplify the gathering process a bit)

would it? in which function would you recommend to place the
id -> name
translation?

are you (Jan Huijsmans) interested in the quota-plugin as well?
also for large-scale companies?

niki