[collectd] Threads, pthreads, pth, ...

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Dec 16 13:29:45 CET 2005

Hello Peter,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:05:57PM +0100, Peter Holik wrote:
> I like collectd, because of using less resources and threads means
> additionsl context switches :-(

I'll try very hard to make thread support optional.. I can see that
sparing resources is important for small devices..

> > Another step might be to ping all hosts in parallel, but
> > a) this should be done using `select(2)' or `poll(2)' and
>
> i prefere this

I'll look into it but this will most likely have to wait till after
thread support is done..

> > b) doesn't help if more than one plugin is doing network stuff..
>
> this means a mainloop (with `select(2)' or `poll(2)') is needed
> like libevent

That's a very interesting pointer, thank you very much :) I'll
definitely look into that before starting with the threads..

> but what plugins does network stuff (except ping)?

Right now `hddtemp' and, once I'm done with the config file stuff, a new
plugin for `mysql'..