[collectd] I guess we need a config file

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Dec 11 00:41:00 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

thank you very much for your feedback, it really helps with setting
priorities..

To sum the opinios up:
- There seems to be a consensus that a config file is a good thing. I'm
  especially interested in loading a module in the server process but
  not the client..
- Thread support should be optional. To answers two questions:
  o There's not exactly a performance problem, but network-related stuff
    (ping, hddtemp and other future modules that open a socket) may hang
    the daemon..
  o Yes, `curtime' is the only global variable. It's only purpose is to
    minimize calls to `time(2)' ans is as such not absolutely
    necessary..
- Apparently you share my concern of glib being a very big dependency..
  I like to have the smallest number of dependencies possible, too, and
  right now the only hard requirement is the/a `libc' and the autotools/
  libtool..

So, alternatives for `glib' are:
- Threads
  o POSIX threads
  o `pth' (`GNU Portable Threads', haven't looked at it yet)
  o ...?
- Config file parser
  o libconfig <http://www.rkeene.org/oss/libconfig/>
    Small (88k), BSD style license, documentation could be better
  o parse_conf <http://sourceforge.net/projects/parseconflib/>
    No webpage..
  o Write one
    I rather didn't..
  o Suggestions?

Closing thoughts/questions:
- Is there a reason not to use posix threads?
- Why can't I find (more) simple, effective and well documented config
  parsing libraries?