[collectd] I guess we need a config file

David Bacher drbacher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 20:18:28 CET 2005

Hello,

 In general, I support the addition of a config file. For my
application (monitoring a number of embedded systems), distributing a
config file in my collectd_client package just makes sense. In
addition, it allows certain hardcoded elements to be configurable
without adding tons of command line options (like the multicast
address / port).

 However, from the point of view that now even the collectd client
will have external dependencies, I am somewhat wary. As niki pointed
out, glib is not exactly lightweight and in turn depends on other
libraries. (Although, to be honest, expat, gettext and iconv are
fairly common libraries and making sure those dependencies are ported
would not cause me a great many problems.) But the original
lightweight nature of collectd was exactly what drew me to it in the
first place.

 Similarly, I'm not sure I really understand the benefits of adding
threads. Are there places where collectd modules are getting bogged
down? Perhaps I should review the mailing list archives for
performance issues. I certainly agree with niki that thread support
should be optional.

 In any case, this is all just my opinion and I'm still appreciative
of the project and your willingness to discuss potential improvements.

 Cheers,
 -dave