[collectd] plans on adding filesystem total & free blocks monitoring?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Dec 5 19:43:17 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:59:42AM +0100, Florian Forster wrote:
> After all, it's merely a call to `statvfs' (POSIX) or `statfs' (other
> UNIX like systems). Don't you just love the creativity these guys
> develop when it comes to syscalls? ;)

I was an unknowing fool. These UNIX guys apparently like writing
libraries almost as much as they like writing syscalls. I've taken a
look into the GNU Coreutils, into `lib/mountlist.c' to be precise. I had
no idea. There are like a hundred ways to get the currently mounted file
systems. Freaks..

Compared to that mess the statv?fs issue is trivial.. The hard thing is
getting to the actual mount points. Right now I think about taking the
code from the Coreutils or just support Linux and Solaris for now and
add more systems as people request them.[1] For some reason I doubt much
interest in `__alpha running OSF_1' anytime soon..

OTOH, Niki has done something into this direction already. Niki, what
was your motivation to not just copy the `mountlist.c'?

One last thing: Has anyone a good name for that module? `disk' is taken
and `mountpoint' missleading..

[1] The Linux/Solaris thing supports 4.3BSD, HP-UX, Irix and Dynix, too,
    so it'd support many systems already.