[collectd] plans on adding filesystem total & free blocks monitoring?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Dec 5 08:59:42 CET 2005

Good morning,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:13:35AM -0200, Muralito wrote:
> There are any plans to add filesystem info, like total & free blocks?

kind of.. A friend of mine still uses a script to graph that, so I would
have though about this sooner or later.. With you asking it's probably
`sooner' ;)

After all, it's merely a call to `statvfs' (POSIX) or `statfs' (other
UNIX like systems). Don't you just love the creativity these guys
develop when it comes to syscalls? ;)

> In version 3.1 (do I need to update?), the hddtemp rrds are named
> hddtemp-sdb.rrd and hddtemp-8-0.rrd. Why this difference?

collectd tries to resolve the device names (like `sdb') by reading
`/proc/partitions'. There may be a better way to do this, but I don't
know it.. Anyways, if collectd cannot find the device there it simply
uses the `basename' of the string passed to it by `hddtemp'.

If the RRD named `8-0' is the first disk (i.e. `sda') and the second
disk is named `sdb', then check if both disks are in the proc-file
above. If you find any difference between the two please tell me, maybe
I can take that into account.. If you have only one disk and collectd
uses either one of the RRDs, you'll have to keep a copy of the file and
compare the copy with the `live' file when behavior changes. Sorry that
I don't have any other hint for you :/