[yaala] 3D table layout

Florian Forster yaala@verplant.org
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:33:13 +0100

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 06:14:48PM +0600, qMax wrote:
> q> Well, it maybe nicer to layout them like this:
> q> http://www.mediasoft.ru/~qmax/test3dt/

I like the layout, but I don't see a reason to not ship with both. (The
other one being the layout you with linked tables for each field/value
as discussed earlier) So I'd like to have both, the ``Combined'' report
type with n dimensions and your new layout.

> "BY foo,bar,baz"     - will make 2D table "inside" (bar*baz)
> "BY foo,bar,baz,-"   - will make 1D table "inside" (baz*0), "baz" goes
>                        into column next to the "foo".

In my opinion it's better to create new config options. I think the
select-syntax is complex enough, I don't want to add any artificial
complexity.
On the other hand, it gives one a lot flexibility. However, I'd rather
use one-dimensional tables per default and have yaala generate
two-dimensional tables with something like this:
select: agg1, agg2 BY foo, (bar, baz), qux
select: agg1, agg2 BY foo, bar + baz, qux
select: agg1, agg2 BY foo, bar & baz, qux

Bottom line is: I like both ideas and don't want to choose one over the
other.
--=20

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a--