[collectd] CollectD MultiCast Network Stream to iPhone

DavidHalko davidhalko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:30:45 CEST 2021

Hello CollectD List!

I am interested in using CollectD on a LAN, but would like to use the MultiCast Network output to transmit to whatever real time readers may appear, capture, and graph the output.

In particular, I would like to connect my iPhone to the LAN, run a CollectD receiver, just start receiving data, and have my iPhone start producing graphs based upon the data observed.

Is there an iPhone CollectD MultiCast Network Receiver, basic logger, and basic time-series or gauge grapher?

I am thinking about functionality similar to “perfmeter” on old SunView or OpenWindows workstations, but eliminating the workstation part since I have a phone in my pocket, and trying to simplify usage for collectd on appliances forwarding telemetry.

The use case: IoT appliances are collectd enabled & dumping telemetry on multicast, I start start up an iPhone app, view graphs in real time from what is seen over multicast, determine health of IoT items, discard data as I shut off the app, I don’t want any knowledge of IoT objects outside the LAN (no web sites, no usernames, no passwords, maybe MAC Address or serial# or appliance name, just Appliance sensors & IoT health on my LAN.)

Thanks! DavidH

Sent from my iPhone