[collectd] Unable to compile on HP-UX Itanium

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 4 13:10:56 CET 2020

Hi Volker,

Am 04.02.2020 um 12:27 schrieb Volker Voßkämper <vvo at cenote.de>:
> according to issue #3281 HP-UX is not supported but a Solution
> Architect from Elastic just confirmed that all customers of Elastic
> still using HP-UX use CollectD as replacement for Beats.
>
> So there must be a solution to compile it.
>
> Environment:
> HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64
> cc: HP C/aC++ B3910B A.06.27.03 [Nov 30 2012]
> gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 (Package from hpux.connect.org.uk)
> libgcrypt 1.8.5 (Package from hpux.connect.org.uk)
>
> To make it short, as a summary I can say that most configure options I
> used result in
>
> ---------snip-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> $ make
>        make  all-am
>  CC       src/collectd_nagios-collectd-nagios.o
>  CC       src/libcollectdclient/libcollectdclient_la-client.lo
>  CC       src/libcollectdclient/libcollectdclient_la-network.lo
> In file included from src/libcollectdclient/network.c:29:
> ./src/daemon/collectd.h:175:2: error: #error "Cannot determine byte order"
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error exit code 1
> ---------snap-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> CC=" ... -mbig-endian ..." does not help

I suggest to try adding -DBIG_ENDIAN when looking at the code at
  https://github.com/collectd/collectd/blob/master/src/daemon/collectd.h#L161

> I also had an issue with libgcrypt which I could not solve:
>
> # cat config.log |grep libgcrypt
> configure:121291: result:     libgcrypt . . . . . . no (symbol
> gcry_md_hash_buffer not found)

Can you please post the config.log output of the complete libgcrypt section?

> I tried several combinations of options, here are some as an example:

Did you try the combinations for the libgcrypt issue or something else?
I suggest not to try random combinations of compile switches but to
analyze the issue and add flags as needed.

Best regards

  — Dago