[collectd] snmp plugin using ifAlias and ifDescr together

Gerard Alcorlo Bofill galcorlo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:59:51 CEST 2020

Hello,

previously I have done this question at the irc channel but I had been
disconnected... Let me repeat here my question.

I am using snmp plugin to get stats from diferent switch devices. Is
it possible using snmp plugin, having ifAlias and ifDesc together?
The retrived metrics via snmp are sent to graphite, and graphite has
this kind of structure:

/servers/net-swcore-01/snmp/if_packets/sw-access-2t/rx.wsp when I use
Instance "IF-MIB::ifAlias"

or

/servers/net-swcore-01/snmp/if_packets/TenGigabitEthernet_0_38/rx.wsp
when I use Instance "IF-MIB::ifDescr"

but I would like to have:

/servers/net-swcore-01/snmp/if_packets/TenGigabitEthernet_0_38/sw-access-2t/rx.wsp

This way, using grafana variables I could find information by ifDescr
or by ifAlias without remembering what is connected in which port.

Thank you very much for your help.