[collectd] ping plugin is not works in some cases (Linux)

Sergey a_s_y at sama.ru
Fri Oct 18 08:57:31 CEST 2019

On Thursday 17 October 2019, Sergey wrote:

> I attempt to use ping plugin and I found that it is not works
> in incomprehensible cases. I have 3 systems with identical
> configurations. The one works and other two don't.
>
> collectd 5.9.1, identical rpm package. Configuration is fully same:
>
> <Plugin ping>
>         Host "localhost"
> </Plugin>
>
> The only difference is a hostname. The working system has real
> hostname with full DNS support, other two is a notebooks with
> local defined hostnames. I don't see any other difference.
> cpu, load and memory plugins works. Can anyone suggest anything?

For some reason I did not look in the log...

collectd[1301]: read-function of plugin `ping' failed. Will suspend it for 20.000 seconds.
collectd[1301]: ping plugin: ping_host_add (localhost) failed: Operation not permitted
collectd[1301]: ping plugin: No host could be added to ping object. Giving up.
collectd[1301]: ping plugin: The ping thread had a problem. Restarting it.

I forgot another difference between working and nonworking systems:
systemd used as init on nonworking systems. And it's the problem like
SELinux. It is even mentioned in collectd.service:

# A few plugins won't work without some privileges, which you'll have to
# specify using the CapabilityBoundingSet directive below.
#
# Here's a (incomplete) list of the plugins known capability requirements:
#   ceph            CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE
#   dns             CAP_NET_RAW
#   exec            CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID
#   intel_rdt       CAP_SYS_RAWIO
#   intel_pmu       CAP_SYS_ADMIN
#   iptables        CAP_NET_ADMIN
#   ping            CAP_NET_RAW
#   processes       CAP_NET_ADMIN  (CollectDelayAccounting only)
#   smart           CAP_SYS_RAWIO
#   turbostat       CAP_SYS_RAWIO
#
# Example, if you use the iptables plugin alongside the dns or ping plugin:
#CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_RAW CAP_NET_ADMIN

--
Regards, Sergey