[collectd] Sending metadata over network

Dhananjay Deshpande dhananjay.deshpande at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 17:14:41 CEST 2017

Thanks Octo.

Currently the identifier fields are limited in length (127 chars). Hence,
was thinking of a way to store more keys in metadata.

I wanted a way to save hostname, provider service identifier (stats can be
provided by service other than monitored service), monitored service
identifier, metric type, metric subtype.

Each of these identifiers can be multiple key:value pairs.

Given current collectd design , my plan is to use the identifier fields as
follows in the client collectd daemons -

Plugin - provider service identifier
Plugin instance - monitored service identifier
Type - Metric type
Type instance - Metric subtype

Identifiers can be '.' delimited and positional instead of key:value to
save space.

I plan to use my python plugin as a generic plugin to talk to different
kinds of provider services and configure the different services in my .conf.

Will my approach cause any issues with using current or planned features of
collectd ? I am interested in using the aggregation plugin in the server
collectd instances for e.g..

Regards,

Dhananjay.