[collectd] feeding "unknown" values to the rrdtool writer from my plugin

Andreas Schuldei andreas at schuldei.org
Thu Mar 16 19:36:00 CET 2017

on the rrdtool-user mailinglist i learned that unknown values were
indicated to rrdlib with the char "U". Now, that i set unknown values in my
plugin to "U", i get this error in the logs:

Argument "U" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
/usr/share/perl5/Collectd/Plugins/OneWireCtlr.pm line 135 - which is the
line
plugin_dispatch_values(\%v);

so please help me out, how do i tell collectd that a value is unknown, and
should be teated as such?