[collectd] [Question] format of collectd configuration

Michael Fong mcfong.open at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 12:12:22 CEST 2017

Hi, all,

I have recently encountered an issue related to collectd configuration
generated via automation script, where some plugin (generic_jmx and others)
have failed to start up due to the following similar message:

Jun 17 17:58:45 pi6 collectd[2773]: Starting statistics collection and
monitoring
daemon: collectdParse error in file
`/etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/jmx.conf', line 2414 near `': *syntax error,
unexpected $end, expecting EOL*
Jun 17 17:58:45 pi6 collectd[2773]: yyparse returned error #1
Jun 17 17:58:45 pi6 collectd[2773]: configfile: Cannot read file
`/etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/jmx.conf'.

After some research on the internet, and I came across this thread on
stackoveflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31753775/config-file-finding-unexpected-end-not-sure-why>,
indicating that the root cause is that a line feed character '\n' is needed
for each configuration file (collectd.conf and plugins.conf).

I have tested on my local env, and it seemly works just fine. However, I am
wondering if this is the root cause or I have been mislead by error
message. If there is indeed a requirement on the format - line feed
character,  to collectd configuration, is it documented somewhere to
reference to?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Michael Fong