[collectd] Network behavior between 3.11.7 and 5.7.1.19

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Thu Feb 23 09:13:42 CET 2017

Hi Matt,
Looking at the v3 => v4 and v4 => v5 migration guides, the only thing that
mentions changes to the network plugin is the v4 => v5 path:

https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V3_to_v4_migration_guide
https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V4_to_v5_migration_guide

However, that should only affect you if you've got v5 clients sending to a
v4 server, so I don't think that's your problem.

A couple of things come to mind:

 - Have you tried decoding the packets you're receiving from your v3 client
in Wireshark? It may shed some light on whether the problem is with the
packets or the server.
 - What happens if you send packets from a v3 client to a v4 server?
 - Are the errors you're seeing on the v5 server coming from the network
plugin, or some other writer plugin (like rrdtool)? If the error is not
coming from rrdtool, what happens when you try writing data with the csv
plugin?

Cheers,
Lindsay