[collectd] Collectd feature proposition - Configuration plugins

Arthur Havlicek arthurhavlicek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 23:27:13 CEST 2017

Collectd conf is a hindrance in a distributed setup if you want it to be
easily maintained by non-admins, because that means you basically have
to program a software piece to ssh and distribute a configuration and
restart for them to use. This was my wish, but I realised that
restarting collectd in a distributed environment might not be a good
idea in the long run if I have the high traffic I expect on my setup.
Worse, breaking the conf somewhere would likely make the service being
unable to run for some time, but I definitely don't want to code a
configuration validator right now.

This is why, I thought about a new collectd enhancement, and a pretty
big one - configuration plugins. Basically, the idea is to be able to
read a collectd configuration from a database or from the network, and
have collectd to behave fully like a minion. Everytime someone pushes a
new configuration, collectd would soft reset and read the new
configuration, without interrupting the service.

Because I made an assumption it is doable in reasonable time, I intend
to develop this on my own and distribute this back to collectd
community, but I would gladly accept returns about whether you find this
project interesting or not and help about how to properly soft reset the
daemon. I suppose the conf itself is going to be the easiest part since
I just have to turn current behavior in a lib that would produce the
same intermediate configuration objects.

Thank you in advance for help and listening.