[collectd] New to collectd - About licence of plugins

Arthur Havlicek arthurhavlicek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 22:18:23 CEST 2017

Hello collectd community

It seems my message from outside the mailing list didn't go through, so
I suscribed and will now repeat a question I had about collectd plugins
licencing.

I intend to build a business around this amazing tool, mostly selling a
collectd integration + plugins. AFAIK plugins in collectd are compiled
with the daemon making it a single binary, as such it can be considered
derivative work under a GPL licence.

I wanted to know whether a non-free licencing over a collectd plugin was
considered respectful of collectd licence in itself. I expect this to be
the original wish of collectd to enable as much contributor as possible
and allow they licence their work the way they want, but I found no
other example yet or documentation that this is even possible to release
a modified collectd package containing non-free plugins which is restricted.

As I'm not a lawyer, I query explicit allowance from collectd authors
and strongly hope it is possible to distribute a plugin with a non-free
plugin as this would allow me to deploy efficient applications without
complex pipelining. Of course, non-free licencing would only limit to
the plugin and would still make me liable of giving source code of
collectd parts which are covered by free licence.

Thank you for your help.