[collectd] collectd loading configuration on the fly without restarting a service

Tahhan, Maryam maryam.tahhan at intel.com
Thu Nov 3 16:55:48 CET 2016

Hi Folks
We are looking for some feedback on a feature we would like to implement for collectd. Currently if anyone wants to change the collectd configuration in terms of plugins that are enabled/disabled, the methodology to do this is static (as in if you change the configuration you must restart the daemon). This is identified as an issue in an SDN/NFV deployment, where by you would like to enable plugins to monitor the services you are deploying on your system.

So the idea is in its early stages and the full design has yet to be fleshed out, but an early candidate under consideration is looking at extending collectdctl utility and the unixsock plugin to allow you to register or remove relevant callbacks and do the associated init/shutdown... We recognize that whatever we implement must be backward compatible and not break anything in collectd today.

Is this something that the collectd community would be interested in? do you have any additional feedback?

BR
Maryam