[collectd] Is it safe to modify constants in src/daemon/plugin.h?

Liu, Weichu | Leo | OPS weichu.liu at rakuten.com
Wed Jul 6 10:39:05 CEST 2016

Hello collectd developer/user.

Recently we are running into a problem. When collecting Kafka metrics using GenericJMX Plugin, but the "plugin_instance" field are not long enough to hold the value (since it contains topic names and some topics has long name).

We found that by changing definition of DATA_MAX_NAME_LEN in src/daemon/plugin.h, we can expand the max length and get complete "plugin_instance".

Here we want to ask if it is safe to modify this constant? If you have any advices, please tell us.

Thanks

Liu