[collectd] Problems using and understanding the JMX plugin

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at azariah.com
Sat Feb 27 02:18:22 CET 2016

Howdy! Setting up collectd is going well. Just hit a couple snags.

 I'm trying to use the JMX plugin to get metrics. I'm implementing information
I've been handed by others, so don't have 100% introspection into the target
server. I'm seeing this in the collectd logs: "getAttribute failed:
javax.management.ReflectionException: No such operation: Count"  But...it's not
telling me the MBean on which it is throwing that error. How could I obtain
that information?

Also getting this message: GenericJMXConfValue: Cannot convert list of objects
to numbers., again with no mention of the MBean that is failing. What config
might I need to change so it will accept the list of objects?

I also have, for example, a config stanza such as this:

https://gist.github.com/jkugler/0a42fd7ec2026aa02e06

Collectd is writing out to CSV files. But that stanza is generating only two
CSV files, counter-<date> and gauge-<date>  Then, for each time it reads, there
are two rows in the CSV file, presumably from each value config. But there is no
way to tell which "value" is written to the row.

For example, this:

/var/lib/collectd/csv/member-0-ubuntu-1404/GenericJMX-
cassandra_activity_storage_proxy/counter-2016-02-27

epoch,value
1456532172.867,nan
1456532172.874,617186482168.596069
1456532182.230,11.436304
1456532182.234,1386874349847.325439
1456532203.324,203645212.307825
1456532203.329,0.000000
1456532212.075,0.000000
1456532212.077,0.000000

Two values at each reading from the two "counter" types in the config stanza.
Not very helpful. :)

Ideas?

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
joshua at azariah.com - Jabber: pedahzur at gmail.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A