[collectd] SNMP too many hosts ... workarounds?

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Tue Feb 2 01:50:56 CET 2016

Hi,

As stated in the wiki [1], the SNMP library (libnetsnmp) used by
collectd is limited to 1024 hosts total. I was wondering what others may
have used as a workaround to try to bypass this limit and be able to
monitor more than 1024 hosts?

Obviously, we could spin another server with collectd and split the
amount of devices to monitor across two hosts and so on but it does not
scale very well from a management point of view (overhead/complexity).

So what do you guys do?

Cheers,
Thomas

[1]: https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:SNMP#Maximum_number_of_hosts