[collectd] collectd installed but no /etc/init.d/collectd

John Pfuntner pfuntner at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 28 20:37:17 CET 2016

I'm trying to install collectd-5.7.0 on RHEL 7.3 (3.10.0-514.el7.s390x).  I
ran the configure script and did a `make all install` from root.  There was
a lot of output but I think it all worked as expected.  I ended up with 281
regular files under /etc/collectd and 83 shared libraries
under /etc/collectd/lib.  I updated the config file and was ready to try to
start the daemon but I don't have an /etc/init.d/collectd script.

I saved stdout/stderr from the make but there is no mention of `init` or
`script` in the output.  Did I miss a step?  Is my architecture throwing
things off?  I see contrib/redhat/init.d-collectd in the tarball.  Am I
supposed to copy that as is or what?  What was supposed to create the
script?  It seems to be that `make install` should have done that, maybe
performing customization of the script along the way.

I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.