[collectd] How often does Collectd read resolv.conf?

Kevin Burton burton at spinn3r.com
Fri May 29 23:12:05 CEST 2015

this is an issue with glibc, NOT with collectd.  It’s not fun but most
versions of glibc do not do resolv.conf reloading.  I agree it’s not fun
but this is a bug in glibc not collectd.

Long story short, don’t ever change your DNS servers IPs.. otherwise it’s
just no fun.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Markus "Shorty" Uckelmann <shorty at koeln.de
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It just happened that one of our servers had a wrong resolv.conf. We
> corrected this. A few hours later we saw that we had no metrics from
> Collectd from this server. So back to it and Collectd wasn't able to
> resolve it's Graphite host. So even after a few hours it didn't re-read
> /etc/resolv.conf. Is this a desired behaviour?
> I think Collectd should once in a while re-read /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Cheers, Shorty

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com