[collectd] Debian, collectd hostname lookup

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org
Tue Mar 31 18:29:38 CEST 2015

Hi all

On Debian, at post-install, Collectd is fired up.
If Collectd ever fails to lookup its IP adress from its hostname, the
service startup fails and thus the package install.

As I am going to deploy a consequent set of machines with CFEngine and
its package bundle, I would like to perform pre install checks to be
sure the conditions are fullfilled before I launch the package install.

How to get the machine hostname to have exactly the same result as collectd?
- hostname (without options?)
- hostname --fqdn

How to perform the lookup excactly as collectd would do it (/etc/hosts
is included) ?
- dig ? (with some parameters?)
- nslookup ? (with some parameters?)

If some test fail, I need to deploy the right fix and only when all is
clear I will launch package installation.
What is important to me is to to be able to script some check the
closest way as collectd would.

Thank you for you help.