[collectd] customizing metrics paths for various plugins

Tom Throckmorton throck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 03:55:59 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>
wrote:

> New to this project, I am testing collectd as a metrics collector to be
> used with Graphite. Everything's fine so far, and I am very impressed with
> how easy it is to collect high-frequency samples with very low CPU usage.
>
> I've enabled the CPU plugin and the metrics are showing up in Graphite.
> But each individual metric is prefixed with "cpu-":
>
> collectdlocalhostcollectd/
> ├── cpu-0
> │   ├── cpu-idle.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-interrupt.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-nice.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-softirq.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-steal.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-system.wsp
> │   ├── cpu-user.wsp
> │   └── cpu-wait.wsp
>
> This seems redundant, and when visualized with Grafana, it takes too much
> space in the legend. Is there a way to get rid of the "cpu-" prefix in the
> metrics names? Let's say for the user metric, I want the path to be...
>
> host.cpu-0.user
>
> ...instead of...
>
> host.cpu-0.cpu-user
>
> Same question for the memory plugin.
>
> For the load plugin, the path is load.load.longterm - here the load label
> appears on two different levels. Can I get rid of one level?
>
> Also, is there a way to group some plugins under the same branch? I'd like
> CPU, memory, load, etc to fall under the category "os". Other plugins, such
> as Apache, etc. I'd like to group under the "app" category.
>
> host
>   os
>     cpu
>     memory
>     load
>   app
>     apache
>
> It's not clear to me how to manipulate these paths with collectd.

I don't think there is a simple way to manipulate the paths for every
plugin (other than toggling SeparateInstances) to your liking; more to the
point, since you are using graphite, I don't think you need to.  You could
use carbon's rewrite rules feature to force the metrics into the paths of
your choosing - great example of rules for doing exactly some of what you
are asking for here:

https://github.com/indygreg/collectd-carbon/blob/master/examples/carbon.rewrite-rules.conf

cheers,

-tt