[collectd] Collectd and data encryption

Giovanni Torres giovtorres at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:10:16 CET 2015

________________________________
> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 02:41:28 +0100
> From: melkor.lord at gmail.com
> To: collectd at verplant.org
> Subject: [collectd] Collectd and data encryption
>
> Hi,
>
> According to the documentation -
> https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Network - collectd supports
> data signing/encryption.
>
> How is it triggered? I see no way to enforce it by a configuration
> flag. Is it negociated with the destination to test if it supports
> signing/encrytion and then use it?

You must have compiled collectd with libgcrypt support, otherwise signing or encryption will not work.  Have a look at the source code for the network plugin (https://github.com/collectd/collectd/blob/master/src/network.c).  You will see references to "#if HAVE_LIBGCRYPT".  Otherwise, the "SecurityLevel" options are ignored, as stated here: https://collectd.org/documentation/manpages/collectd.conf.5.shtml#plugin_network

When you compile collectd, look for the following line:
    libgcrypt . . . . . . yes

If not, install the libgcrypt-devel package (if on CentOS) and recompile.

> On the same matter, Riemann plugin should support SSL as Riemann itself
> supports it too - http://riemann.io/api/riemann.transport.tcp.html -
> via the ssl-handler

What's the question here?