[collectd] Trouble building collectd on RHEL7

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Thu Feb 5 22:47:38 CET 2015

On 2/5/15 3:25 PM, Corey Kosak wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies if I'm posting to the wrong place.
>
> I've been trying to build collectd from source on a fresh RedHat 7 VM and I've been having a lot of problems. I'm probably doing something dumb. Is there a recipe for doing so?

Just FWIW, pretty sure collectd *is* in EPEL.  But if you need to build from source ...

> These are the steps I took and what went wrong:
>
>  1. Create a fresh RH7 VM on Amazon Web Services (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-a8d369c0)
>  2. *sudo yum -y update && sudo yum -y install git gitk autoconf automake flex bison gcc libtool libtool-ltdl*
>  3. **git clone https://github.com/collectd/collectd.git&& cd collectd*
>     *
>  4. ./build.sh
>      1. This results in the error message "WARNING: `yacc' not found! Please make sure that `yacc' is installed and is in one of the directories listed in the PATH environment variable."
>  5. edit build.sh to change the string "yacc" to "bison"

the byacc package provides a yacc binary...
oh, but whoops:

  YACC     parser.c
byacc: e - line 77 of "/root/collectd/src/liboconfig/parser.y", syntax error
%error-verbose

Ok, yeah, bison seems fine :)

>  6. ./build.sh
>
> The last step prints the following:
>
> + autoheader
> + aclocal
> configure.ac:3988 <http://configure.ac:3988>: warning: macro 'AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0' not found in library
> + libtoolize --ltdl --copy --force
> libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `libltdl/config'.
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/compile'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/config.guess'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/config.sub'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/depcomp'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/install-sh'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/missing'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/ltmain.sh'
> libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `libltdl/m4'.
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/argz.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/libtool.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltdl.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltoptions.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltsugar.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltversion.m4'
> libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
> libtoolize: putting libltdl files in LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR, `libltdl'.
> libtoolize: `COPYING.LIB' not found in `/usr/share/libtool/libltdl'

try installing libtool-ltdl-devel, not sure if you have it, but
that's what provides the file it's looking for.

With that I can build on my rhel7 box (after the bison build.sh edit)

-Eric