[collectd] Preventing collectd high memory usage

Yves Mettier ymettier at free.fr
Tue Dec 15 10:37:50 CET 2015

Hello,

You can read this : https://github.com/collectd/collectd/pull/691

In short :

queue_length
nb values incoming. This is what you want to limit with
WriteQueueLimitHigh and WriteQueueLimitLow.

derive-dropped
this is what you drop when queue_length is greater than the limits you
set.
If derive-dropped is nul, either everything is going well or you set
WriteQueueLimitHigh and WriteQueueLimitLow too high.
If derive-dropped is never nul, your problem is either that
WriteQueueLimitHigh and WriteQueueLimitLow are too low, or you have a
bottleneck somewhere.

cache_size
same as "echo LISTVAL | nc -u /var/.../collectd.sock | wc -l"

Regards,
Yves