[collectd] ASA VPN tunnel monitoring

Sjoerd de Vries SdeVries at globecomm-europe.com
Wed Feb 26 12:44:13 CET 2014

Hi list,

I am running into a problem with the SNMP plugin when I want to monitor VPN tunnels from a Cisco ASA.

The data is in a table (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.171.1.3.2) but the index is a new int for every tunnel. In other words a tunnel goes down, comes back up and has a new index.
In collectd I put the Index on the remote address (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.171.1.3.2.1.5) however this is an IP in hex format. Pushing the data to graphite then results in some strange label values (direct HEX to ASCII).

Is there a way to convert these labels to normal IP addressess (HEX to IP to ASCII) before passing to graphite?
Or maybe is there a better way to monitor the traffic on the VPN tunnels I'm not seeing?

Kind regards,
Sjoerd